for Foresight Imaging IDEA V3.2
November 2, 2009
release is provided as an online download or on CD.
IDEA v3.2 for 32 Bit OS. Part number: 042700-320
IDEA v3.2 for 64 Bit OS. Part number: 042701-320
Please note that product documentation is provided in electronic format only.
You will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader version 5.0 or higher to view the documentation.
Adobe Acrobat is provided on the Foresight Imaging Software & Documentation CD or can be downloaded at either:
www.adobe.com or www.fi-llc.com
software documentation is located on the CD and in the
..\idea\doc directory (after installation) as SDK_Manual.pdf.
For product installation, please refer to the Foresight imaging Installation and Users Guide.
It is provided on the CD and in the ..\idea\doc directory (after installation) as Install_Manual.pdf.
demonstration version of the Pegasus Imaging JPEG codec is included for use
with the example
programs. For information on licensing this software, please go to:
IDEA Active X
Demo Using Visual Basic and IDEA API Example Program are the two example programs
recommended for use to evaluate the full functionality of the frame
grabbers and video streamers. They are included in:
Start || Programs || Foresight || Demos .
a demonstration program to verify the system's ability to create a live
direct draw surface for display. For 32 bit installations
Start || Programs || Foresight || Demos
VidCap is the demonstration program recommended for use of the Video for Windows driver.
For 32 bit installations only: :
********* Important Changes in the 3.2 Release ********
* Adds support for the AccuStream Express 50, AccuStream Express 75, & AccuStream Express 170 frame grabbers.
* This release also supports all other AccuStream boards (AccuStream 50a, AccuStream 75a, AccuStream 205a, AccuStream 50+, AccuStream 75+, AccuStream 170+, AccuStream 50, AccuStream 75, and AccuStream 170)
versions of the IDEA development software must be uninstalled prior to
installing version 3.2.
* For all 32 bit applications on 32 operating systems, install the 32 bit CD. This installs the 32 bit application development environment and the 32 bit driver.
* For all 64 bit operating systems, install the 64 bit CD.
This installs both the 32 bit application development environment and the 64 bit application development environment with the 64 bit driver.
* To Import the ActiveX Control into a VB.NET application perform the following steps.
1. Regsvr32 ideactls.ocx - if not already registered.
2. aximp ideactls.ocx - using the correct 32 or 64 bit version of aximp from the .NET SDK.
3. regtlib ideactls.ocx
* From inside Visual Studio 2005 for the application project:
1. Select "Project|Add Reference"
2. From the COM Tab select "idea ActiveX Control Module"
3. From the Browse Tab go to the ..\idea\ActiveX directory
and select AxIdeaCTLSLib.dll.
* You should now be able to build and execute a VB.NET application using the IDEA ActiveX control.
* The default
IDEA directory is:
c:\program files\foresight\idea\ (32 bit)
c:\program files(x86)\foresight\idea\ (64 bit)
* IDEA 3.2 cannot co-exist with any other IDEA version.
* IDEA 3.2 dll's , sys drivers & ocx's cannot be interchanged with other IDEA revisions.
* HDTV DVI resolutions of 1920x1080p60 & VGA resolutions of 1900x1200x60 are now supported via a new EDID file included in 3.2.
- To program an AccuStream 170 or 170+ board, go to the ..\foresight\idea\utilities directory
- Run the DVI Configuration program, DVI_Config.exe.
- Choose the "Load from file" command and select "Foresight 1920x1200.dat"
- Follow the instructions.
- NOTE: 1920x1200 is supported on the AccuStream Express without additional updates.
Applications to IDEA 3.2
For developers releasing an Application:
* Your existing IDEA based application must be recompiled and re-linked using the new IDEA 3.2 libraries, header files, & OCX wherever applicable.
* Updating only the IDEA DLL's and drivers without rebuilding the application may result in unstable operation.
For an end-user based system using TWAIN, Video for Windows, or the IDEA demo programs:
* In "Control Panel", "Add/Remove Software", uninstall the current IDEA software.
* Decompress and run the "InstallScan20.exe" program on the IDEA v3.2 CD or the downloaded version located
in the "ADDONS", "INSTALLSCAN" directory. Select "Clean Installation"
* install the new IDEA software.
* Previous versions of IDEA software MUST be un-installed.
* Windows XP. Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Professional 64, Windows Vista Business,
Windows Vista Business 64, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 64.
* Foresight Imaging frame grabbers and video streamers:
AccuStream 170, AccuStream 75, AccuStream 50
AccuStream 170+, AccuStream 75+, AccuStream 50+
AccuStream 205a, AccuStream 75a, AccuStream 50a
AccuStream Express 170, AccuStream Express 75, AccuStream Express 50
This CD-ROM contains:
* IDEA 3.2 SDK and Demo files in the setup directory
* AutoSYNC video configuration & measurement tool
* The IDEA installation and SDK manuals in PDF format
* Acrobat Reader for the PDF documents
* Pegasus compression software for streaming to disk demo (AVI file creation)
* A Video Test program for verification of VGA display modes.
* VidCap32 application program as an example for running the Video for Windows driver (32 bit only).
* The unpacked IDEA library contains the IDEA software, Demos, Documents, and Windows Drivers.
from the IDEA 3.1 Release
1) Support for AccuStream Express 170, 75, and 50 boards (PCIe x4)
2) Added EDID DVI configuration files for HDTV resolution of 1080p60 & VGA resolutions of 1920x1200
Updates to Documentation
The documentation has been updated to match the V3.2 software release.
Additionally, the PDF files are fully searchable and have been book-marked for easy navigation.
* Pentium 4, 1.8 MHz or greater
* Windows XP
* Memory: minimum 512 MB
* VGA card supporting DirectDraw overlay & graphics
* Appropriate video source
* High quality input video cabling
* 32 bit PCI bus, PCI-64/66 PCI bus, or PCIe x4 bus
* +5.0 volt or 3.3 volt PCI slots are supported.
* Administrator rights are required to install the IDEA 3.2 SDK & software.
*** Note: For RGB signals, please ensure that the
cable lengths are identical for all connections.
A bundled RGB and sync cable is recommended.
1) The DirectX SDK (available from Microsoft) must be installed to recompile and build the VideoTest application.
2) IDEA demo programs create AVI type 1 files, with a file size limit of 4.0 gig.
For AVI files larger than 4.0 gig, see the AMCap demo code in the Microsoft DirectX 9 SDK package.
The AMCap executable for 32 bit O/S available at:
Install the Pegasus Compression CODECS to use lossy
& lossless compression at
In IDEADEMO program, the message: "Unable
to find compression codec: pvmjpg20.dll" indicates the
Pegasus compression codecs are not loaded.
In the IDEADEMO, "Options" menu, select: "Uncompressed RGB32", or, install the Pegasus codecs.
5) For AVI file playback, the latest version of Windows Media Player is available at:
* Video stream rates are dependent on several factors beyond the AccuStream board.
* The AccuStream boards can run in PCI 32 & 64 bit slots.
* The AccuStream Express boards can run in PCIe x4 slots.
* For fastest stream rates and data transfers, a PCI-64/66 MHz bus or a PCIe x4 bus is recommended.
* System processor, memory & disk speed all contribute to transfer rate speeds.
* Below are transfer rates to memory on "typical" PCI 32 & PCI 64 bit machines that perform at 125 MB/second transfers
and 250 MB/second transfers respectively, as well as performance on “typical” PCIe x4 systems. Your
performance may vary on slower machines.
* For fastest video streaming, use computers with a 64 bit PCI-64/66 bus or PCIe x4 bus,
1 gig + memory & a SATA Raid striped disk sub-system is recommended for best
performance when streaming to disk.
32 bit OS IDEA disk P/N 042700-320
64 bit OS IDEA disk P/N 042701-320
AccuStream 75 030000-175
AccuStream 50 030000-150
AccuStream 205a 032000-100
AccuStream 75a 032000-175
AccuStream 50a 032000-150
AccuStream 170+ 033000-100
AccuStream 75+ 033000-175
AccuStream 50+ 033000-150
AccuStream Express 170 034000-100
AccuStream Express 75 034000-175
AccuStream Express 50 034000-150
All boards are ROHS compliant
Typical maximum video capture formats:
AccuStream 205a - VGA 1600x1200x75 (202.5 MHz)
AccuStream 170 - VGA 1600x1200x60 (162 MHz)
AccuStream 75 - VGA 1024x768x70 (75 MHz),
- HDTV 1920x1080x30 interlaced (74.25 MHz)
AccuStream 50 - VGA 800x600x70 (45.5MHz)
- RS170 (12 MHz),
- PAL (14 MHz)
Power & Operating Temperatures
* AccuStream Power consumption:
AccuStream 170/75/50 = 12 watts
AccuStream 170+/75+/50+ = 8 watts
AccuStream 205a/75a/50a = 6.5 watts
AccuStream Express 170/75/50 = 15 watts to 20 watts
* Operating temperatures:
10 to 50 degrees Centigrade
10% to 90% non-condensing
0 to 70 degrees Centigrade
For additional information or assistance, contact Foresight Imaging Technical Support at:
Phone: + 978 458-4624 x244
Fax: + 978 458-5488
To obtain the latest updates access: