Foresight Imaging IDEA V3.4, July 16, 2012
This release is provided as an online download or on a single CD for both 32 bit & 64 bit operating systems..
IDEA v3.4 for 32 Bit & 64 bit OS, CD part number: 042700-340
Please note that product documentation is provided in electronic format only.
You will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader version 8.0 or higher to view the documentation.
Adobe Acrobat can be downloaded at either:
www.adobe.com or www.fi-llc.com
software and hardware installation manuals are located on the CD
and in the C:\Program
Files\Foresight\idea\doc directory (after installation) as SDK_Manual.pdf
A demonstration version of the Pegasus Imaging JPEG codec is included for use with the example
programs. For information on licensing this software, please go to:
X Demo Using Visual Basic, StreamCap and IDEA API Example Program are the three
example programs recommended for use to evaluate the full functionality of
the frame grabbers and video streamers. They are included in:
Start || Programs || Foresight || Demos .
a test program to verify the system's ability to create a live direct draw
surface for display. For 32 bit installations only:
Start || Programs || Foresight || Demos
StreamCap is the demonstration program recommended for use of the WDM driver.
It is located in the C:\Program Files\Foresight\idea\Demo\Bin folder.
Note: Video for Windows is for windows 32 bit only.
Recommended WDM capture software:
An excellent WDM recording software program, Debut Video Capture application is available
from NCH Software. With the IDEA WDM driver and this software, streaming video to disk is accomplished
in a matter of minutes. For information and downloading, go to:
********* Important Changes in the 3.4 Release ********
IDEA 3.4 is a full release package which supersedes IDEA 3.3 and IDEA 3.3.1.
IDEA 3.4 SDK release includes:
- Support for AccuStream Express HD+C, HD 75+C, and SD 50+C frame grabbers & video streamers which include real-time, hardware H.264 compression..
-H.264 (MPEG-4 Part 10 or Advanced Video Encoding) streaming using the AccuStream Express HD+C, HD 75+C, and SD 50+C frame grabber with IDEA Demo applications,
IDEA Demo, IDEA AV, IDEA VB, Streamcap, and Multicard.
- The hardware streaming H.264 compression feature functions are included in the new SDK
-AutoSYNC now has the ability to adjust brightness and contrast for digital signals on the
AccuStream Express HD+C, HD 75+C, SD 50+C; and the AccuStream Express HD+, HD 75+, and SD 50+ boards.
- IDEA Demo programs now create AVI type 2 files except API Demo.
- To install IDEA 3.4 on a system with IDEA 3.3.1:
Un-install any previous versions of IDEA in Windows Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs.
Run the Install_IDEA.exe file in the root directory.
Follow the prompts to complete the installation.
Applications to IDEA 3.4
For developers releasing an Application:
* Your existing IDEA based application must be recompiled and re-linked using the new IDEA 3.4 libraries, header files, & OCX wherever applicable.
* Updating only the IDEA DLL's and drivers without rebuilding the application may result in unstable operation.
* Windows XP. Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Professional 64,
Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 64, all Windows 7 Editions.
* Foresight Imaging frame grabbers and video streamers:
AccuStream 170+, AccuStream 75+, AccuStream 50+
AccuStream 205a, AccuStream 75a, AccuStream 50a
AccuStream Express 170, AccuStream Express 75, AccuStream Express 50
AccuStream Express HD+, AccuStream Express HD 75+, AccuStream Express SD 50+
AccuStream Express HD+C, AccuStream Express HD 75+C, AccuStream Express SD 50+C
* DVI-D Single link signals only, (DVI-D Dual link is not supported)
This CD-ROM or file download contains:
* IDEA 3.4 SDK and Demo files in the setup directory
* AutoSYNC video configuration & measurement tool
* The IDEA installation and SDK manuals in PDF format
* Pegasus compression software for streaming to disk demo (AVI file creation)
* A Video Test program for verification of VGA display modes.
* VidCap32 application program as an example for running the Video for Windows driver (32 bit only).
* StreamCap application program an example to stream large video files.
* The unpacked IDEA library contains the IDEA software, Demos, Documents, and Windows Drivers.
Documentation has been updated to match the V3.4 software release.
Additionally, the PDF files are fully searchable and have been book-marked for easy navigation.
MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:
* Intel Core processor or better
* Windows XP (minimum)
* Memory: minimum 512 MB
* VGA card supporting DirectDraw overlay & graphics
* Appropriate video source
* High quality input video cabling
* 32 bit PCI bus, PCI-64/66 PCI bus, or PCIe x4 bus
* Administrator rights are required to install the IDEA SDK & software.
* Microsoft Visual Studio Pro (or greater) is required, Visual Studio Express is not supported.
For RGB signals, please ensure that the cable lengths
are identical for all connections.
A bundled RGB and sync cable is recommended.
1) The DirectX SDK (available from Microsoft) must be installed to recompile and build the VideoTest application.
2) To use
lossy or lossless compression
download the Accusoft/Pegasus
lossy & lossless compression CODECS from
3) For AVI
file playback, the latest version of Windows Media Player is available
Additional applications for video playback:
Virtual Dub: http://www.virtualdub.org/ or
* Video stream rates are dependent on several factors beyond the AccuStream board.
* The AccuStream boards can run in PCI 32 & 64 bit slots.
* The AccuStream Express boards can run in PCIe x4, x8 and x16 slots.
* For fastest stream rates and data transfers, PCIe is recommended.
* System processor, memory & disk speed all contribute to transfer rate speeds.
* Below are transfer rates to memory on "typical" PCI 32 & PCI 64 bit machines that perform at 125 MB/second transfers,
and 250 MB/second transfers respectively, as well as performance on “typical” PCIe x4 systems (500-700MB/s).
Your performance may vary on slower machines.
* For fastest video streaming, use computers with a PCIe x4 bus or higher,
1GB of more memory and a SATA Raid striped disk or SSD sub-system is recommended for best
performance when streaming to disk. Or for best performance, use the real-time hardware compression
of the AccuStream Express HD+C boards for high quality streaming video at bit rates from 2-30 Mbps, taking
up very little disk space and bus bandwidth.
32 bit OS IDEA disk, P/N 042700-340
64 bit OS IDEA disk, P/N 042701-340
AccuStream 205a 032000-100
AccuStream 75a 032000-175
AccuStream 50a 032000-150
AccuStream 170+ 033000-100
AccuStream 75+ 033000-175
AccuStream 50+ 033000-150
AccuStream Express 170 034000-100
AccuStream Express 75 034000-175
AccuStream Express 50 034000-150
AccuStream Express HD+ 035000-100
AccuStream Express HD 75+ 035000-175
AccuStream Express SD 50+ 035000-150
Express HD+C 036000-100
AccuStream Express HD 75+C 036000-175
AccuStream Express SD 50+C 036000-150
are ROHS compliant
Typical maximum video capture formats:
See our product selection chart at: http://www.fi-llc.com/boards/ProductsSelectionChart.php
- VGA 1600x1200x75 (202.5 MHz)
All 170 series (incl HD+) - Analog & DVI,
- VGA 1600x1200x60, 1900x1200x60, (162 MHz),
- HDTV 1080p60 (148.5 MHz)
All 75 series - Analog & DVI ,
- VGA 1024x768x70 (75 MHz),
- HDTV 1080i30, interlaced (74.25 MHz), 720p60 (74.25 Mhz)
All 50 series - Analog & DVI,
- HDTV 480p60 (27 MHz)
- VGA 800x600x70 (45.5MHz)
- RS170 (12 MHz),
- PAL (14 MHz)
Power & Operating Temperatures
*AccuStream Power consumption:
AccuStream 170+/75+/50+ = 8 watts
AccuStream 205a/75a/50a = 6.5 watts
AccuStream Express 170/75/50 = 15 watts to 20 watts
AccuStream Express HD+/HD 75+/SD 50+ = 15 watts to 20 watts
AccuStream Express HD+C/HD 75+C/SD 50+C = 15 watts to 20 watts
* Operating temperatures:
10 to 50 degrees C
10% to 90% non-condensing
0 to 70 degrees C
For additional information or assistance, contact Foresight Imaging Technical Support at:
Phone: + 978 458-4624 x244
Fax: + 978 458-5488
To obtain the latest updates access: